Communication strategies between Volcano Observatories and the Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres in Europe
On 5-7 February 2019, the UK Met Office is hosting a Eurovolc workshop to bring together the Volcano Observatories and Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres (VAAC) in Europe. This activity falls under the Eurovolc Networking Activity “Connecting the volcanological community with VAACs”. The workshop will bring together ~40 leading scientists and operational staff from all of Europe’s volcano observatories and the London and Toulouse Volcanic Ash Advisory Centres (VAACs).
Invited participants will take part in a mixture of talks, discussions and scenario activities to strengthen links and coordinate interactions between the volcano observatories and the VAACs for improved crisis response. This will be the first time that a dedicated meeting has been held to bring together multiple volcano observatories with the two VAACs.
- Enhance awareness of the roles of the different operational institutions.
- Enhance awareness amongst the volcano observatories of the International Civil Aviation Organization procedures.
- Define and harmonize avenues of communication and data-sharing and possible protocols for these interactions.
- Develop and build new collaborations between the observatories and VAACs.
- Produce a roadmap for future changes and improvements.